人類之所以能成功遍佈世界，是因為我們能想辦法控制支配比自己更強大有力的東西，像是火焰，像是法蘭肯斯坦所著迷的電。然而隨著我們製造出來的東西日漸強大聰明，是否有一天，我們終將做出自己無法控制的東西？或者那已經發生了？（看看那精美的 Siri，是否會讓人想起 2001 太空漫遊裡的殺人電腦 HAL？）
The subtitle of “Frankenstein” is “The Modern Prometheus”. Prometheus offended Zeus by bringing human fire and intelligence. He was than punished by being tied up on a mountain and an eagle would feed on his liver everyday. In the book “Frankenstein”, however, Victor Frankenstein, who found a new technology and created a monster, was not punished by any god yet suffered from his own creation, the nameless monster that we latter called Frankenstein’s creature.
Both fire and technology can benefit human beings a lot. Fire brings us warmth, drives away beasts, and cooks food. Technolony brought us the agricultural revolution and the industrial revolution, which provide abundant food and material for us. Just like Frankenstein’s creature can benefit the Felix family. Fire and technology, however, can also harm and bring huge destruction. Fire can burn people and houses. Technology brought efficient killing in modern war and pollution. Frankenstein’s creature do revenge on his creator. This may be why the fire comforts us yet makes us anxious at the same time, and we will never let a toddler go too close to the fire.
We human beings can spread around the world so successfully probably due to our control to those things more powerful tham ourselves, such as fire, such as all kinds of livestocks, and such as electricity that Victor Frankenstein was enchanted. However, as the things we found or created becomes more and more powerful or even smarter, would there be a day we eventually create a thing that is beyond our control? Or is this already happened? (Look at the lovely Siri. Would she remind us HAL 9000 the computer that kills?)
- student1 → Grammar, usage and structure are all good.
- student2 → The sentences are gramatically correct and the words properly use. Exposition and argument are clearly laid out. Good job.
- student3 → Grammar and sentence structure was hard to follow, sorry. Watch your spelling. Spell check is great but remember there is different spellings for the same word, so you may not actually get the word you mean. I think you did a good job presenting your thesis about technology being a danger and that this story presented that danger in the form of Frankenstein and his creature.
- student4 → Good word choices. Typing errors: “He was than punished”, “powerful tham ourselves” Using the words “such as” (such as fire, such as all kinds of livestocks). Rather use a comma.
拼字、such as 用法。
- student1 → good grip on the character and well researched or read similar characters to explain appropriately. Indeed, I feel persuasive.
- student2 → The essay shows understanding of the work. The argument makes sense and is well supported. Good jon!!
- student3 → I liked your premise for the essay, good job. I would have like to see some more examples from the story to support your thoughts. I do agree with your closing. While technology is a boom to our society are we in danger of that technology taking control of us?
- student4 → Good content. An introduction or conclusion would have made the essay excellent.
- student2 → You’ve done a good job.
- student3 → I believe the issue of grammar and sentence structure is due to a language barrier, so please do not be dishearten about my comments. Overall you did a good job in presenting your thoughts.
- student4 → Hope my comments is helpful.